Saved by Grace: You are my Rescue Story

It had been years; years of me holding back parts of my life from God. For the most part, I had our relationship put together.

I read my Bible (when I remembered), I prayed, went to church, and even had my own website (Rescued with Purpose, formerly known as Embrace Purity).

The thing about a relationship is that you have to be all in. There is no halfway, three quarters, or even 99%, especially with God. If you are not fully invested, the relationship is not going to last.

You see, while I felt that I was 99% surrendered, I was determined to control the remaining 1%. Faith is scary. Giving up all control of your life is unpredictable.

Even after I told God that I was ready to surrender, I realize I still try to hang on sometimes. The problem? When it’s stuck in your mind that you are in charge of your own salvation, all hope is lost.

Scripture is clear on the fact that we cannot save ourselves.

It did not matter if I had a website, went to church every week, or even stuck to my Bible reading plan. Those things are wonderful and good, but apart from the saving grace of God, they are nothing.

Saved by Grace: You are my Rescue Story

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJV

That verse is packed with some amazing news! Even though it is our choice whether we accept Christ or not, it is ultimately God who placed that desire within us. It all comes back to Him.

Recently, I have been learning quite a bit about the saving grace of God. The beauty is realizing that I am nothing without Christ. He did not have to save me, but He did. I am a child of God because He chose me!

My personal rescue story is filled with many different paths. I have made plenty of mistakes, felt overwhelmed about life, and dealt with mental illness.

While those are all valid parts of my experience as a Christian, the most crucial aspect of my life is the fact that Christ is changing my heart.

The Good Shepherd

John chapter 10 is one of my favorite passages of Scripture. Here, we find Jesus comparing Himself to the Shepherd, making His children the sheep.

I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.

John 10:14-15 NKJV

This passage is beautiful. Not only does it make Jesus out to be a comforting and protective Shepherd, it promises believers that they will recognize the Savior’s voice and follow it.

We are not saved by being good. Instead, we are saved by the irresistible grace of God.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.”

John 5:24 ESV

If you would like to learn more about Jesus and His offer of salvation, I would love to talk! Comment down below or contact us by email.